News & Opinion for Conservation Minded Anglers
The ASMFC is an interstate compact of the 15 Atlantic coastal states which manage fisheries in state waters (shore to 3 mile line).
The NEFMC is responsible for the conservation and management of fishery resources between 3 & 200 miles of the Atlantic coasts of ME, NH, MA, RI & CT. Management of some species overlaps with the MAFMC.
The MAFMC is responsible for the conservation and management of fishery resources between 3 & 200 miles of the Atlantic coasts of NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA & NC. Management of some species overlaps with the NEFMC.
This section will cover all federal offices, agencies & actions related to fisheries including US Congress, NOAA Fisheries, NOAA Highly Migratory Species (HMS), National Marine Fishery Service (NMFS), and the Greater Atlantic Regional Fishery Office (GARFO).
- MFCN | “Magnuson-Stevens Act Reauthorization: Where We Stand in the 117th Congress” Management Body: Federal Fisheries, Legislation - A look at the state of play for the reauthorization of the Magnuson-Stevens Act. More ›
- It’s Time for the Tightlined Slam Management Body: Events, News - Anglers in and around western Long Island Sound will once again have a chance to compete for awards, prizes and bragging rights at this year’s Tightlined Slam running October 2-4, 2020. The Tightlined Slam is a catch-and-release, fly and light tackle fishing tournament run by the Tightlined Conservation Coalition. Cash prizes are awarded to top anglers in pre-determined categories.… More ›
- ASMFC Holds Eventful Summer Meeting Management Body: Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, News - The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) held its regular summer meeting on August 3-6, when it addressed a number of issues that will impact anglers in New England and the Mid-Atlantic. Big decision on Atlantic menhaden The biggest news to come out of the meeting was the Atlantic Menhaden Management Board’s (Menhaden Board) decision to… More ›
- Menhaden Reference Points Up For a Vote at ASMFC Management Body: Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, News - During its meeting on August 4 and 5, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission’s Atlantic Menhaden Management Board plans to vote on Ecological Reference Points for menhaden. Here is how you can make your voice heard. Our colleagues at the American Saltwater Guides Association have essential information on the role menhaden play as a prey species. According… More ›
- Economic Rebuilding of our Nation’s Fishing and Seafood Industries Management Body: Legislation, News - UPDATE- Marine Fish Conservation Network Press Release Arlington, VA — Today Congress acted and the president signed “The Paycheck Protection Program Flexibility Act,” enabling the fishing and seafood industries greater access to the program’s relief assistance. The improvements to the program reduce the requirement for expenses to go to payroll from 75 to 60 percent,… More ›
- At the May ASMFC/MAFMC MEETING, Here’s What Went Down Management Body: Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, Mid Atlantic Fishery Management Council - Striped Bass, Menhaden, Bluefish & Recreational/Commercial Allocation Topped the Agenda Last week the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission met, in part, jointly with the Mid Atlantic Fishery Management Council to consider a number of issues. Of course, because of the COVID 19 pandemic, Commissioners and Council members met via webinar. While just about all binding… More ›
- Weathering The Storm: On COVID-19 and the Saltwater Guide Industry Management Body: News - Editors note: This article first appeared in From the Waterfront. John McMurray photo These last several weeks have been awful. No matter how hard I try to find a silver lining, there sure doesn't appear to be one. If you live in the tri-state area and don't know anyone who's been sick yet, you are… More ›
- Striped Bass & Menhaden Headline This Week’s ASMFC Meeting Management Body: Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, News - Good news with menhaden, but it's likely the Commission will fall short on striped bass Menhaden So, here's the good news. It is highly likely, after a good 20 years of advocacy by anglers and environmental groups, that we'll see menhaden managed in the context of its value as a prey species, by as early… More ›
- Support Proper Menhaden Management in Virginia Management Body: News - Menhaden, often called the most important fish in the sea, need your help. Right now the Virginia General Assembly is considering legislation that will put management of menhaden where it belongs, in the hands of the professionals at the Virginia Marine Resources Commission (VMRC). If that sentence took you by surprise, you are not alone.… More ›
- Year End Update Management Body: Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, Federal Fisheries, Mid Atlantic Fishery Management Council, News - Here is our final update for 2019.We wish you a very Merry Christmas and a joyous holiday season. Action on Menhaden We have been waiting for the next shoe to drop in the ongoing menhaden saga and it did late last week. In a letter dated Dec. 17, Chris Oliver, assistant administrator for Fisheries at… More ›