New England Fishery Management Council
The NEFMC is responsible for the conservation and management of fishery resources between 3 & 200 miles of the Atlantic coasts of ME, NH, MA, RI & CT. Management of some species overlaps with the MAFMC.
- North East For-Hire Sector Surprised by Mandatory Electronic Reporting October 16, 2017 Species: Atlantic mackerel, Black sea bass, Bluefish, Butterfish, Scup, Squid, Summer flounder, Tilefish - Back in September; the Greater Atlantic Regional Office of NOAA Fisheries (GARFO) announced mandatory electronic reporting requirements effecting ANY FOR HIRE VESSEL that fishes under a federal permit and is endorsed to catch certain Mid Atlantic Council managed species. Many New England More ›
- Retiring Government Employees Replacing Stakeholders Highlight 2017 Appointments to North East Fishery Councils July 25, 2017 Species: - US Commerce Appointments to New England & Mid-Atlantic Councils On June 28, 2017 the US Commerce Department announced appointments to the 8 regional fishery councils. The Magnuson Stevens Fishery & Conservation Act established the Councils to do the detailed work More ›
- NEFMC June Meeting Recap (The Codfather & Corals) July 11, 2017 Species: Atlantic sea scallops, Cod, Haddock, NEFMC Habitat Plan, Skates - The New England Fishery Management Council met in Portland Maine Between June 20 & 22. The agenda for the week had two items that would be of special interest to many Fissues.org readers. First; the Groundfish Committee agenda included a discussion about More ›
- Winter Flounder April 20, 2017 Species: Winter flounder - Winter flounder are small flatfish belonging to the group known as “right-eyed flounder” because, when placed on a surface with their dark side facing up with their belly pointed toward the observer, their head (and eyes) will be facing toward More ›
- Shad & River Herring April 20, 2017 Species: Shad & river herring - The species known as shad and river herring are managed by the ASMFC Shad & River Herring Management Board. Each of the species involved in this plan are anadromous which means they spend most of their lives at sea but More ›
- Spiny Dogfish April 18, 2017 Species: Spiny dogfish - The spiny dogfish is a small, schooling shark of the genus Squalus that is frequently encountered when fishing in cold and temperate waters. Their name comes from the two thick spikes that adorn the leading edge of each dorsal fin. More ›