News & Opinion for Conservation Minded Anglers
The ASMFC is an interstate compact of the 15 Atlantic coastal states which manage fisheries in state waters (shore to 3 mile line).
The NEFMC is responsible for the conservation and management of fishery resources between 3 & 200 miles of the Atlantic coasts of ME, NH, MA, RI & CT. Management of some species overlaps with the MAFMC.
The MAFMC is responsible for the conservation and management of fishery resources between 3 & 200 miles of the Atlantic coasts of NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA & NC. Management of some species overlaps with the NEFMC.
This section will cover all federal offices, agencies & actions related to fisheries including US Congress, NOAA Fisheries, NOAA Highly Migratory Species (HMS), National Marine Fishery Service (NMFS), and the Greater Atlantic Regional Fishery Office (GARFO).
- Striped Bass Survey Shows Healthy Population Growth Management Body: ASMFC, News - The following article is taken directly from the Maryland Dep't of Natural Resources Web Site GOOD NEWS October 16, 2017 Annual Young-of-Year Survey Tracks Spawning of State Fish Results of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources 2017 young-of-year striped bass survey More ›
- North East For-Hire Sector Surprised by Mandatory Electronic Reporting Management Body: ASMFC, MAFMC, NEFMC, News - Back in September; the Greater Atlantic Regional Office of NOAA Fisheries (GARFO) announced mandatory electronic reporting requirements effecting ANY FOR HIRE VESSEL that fishes under a federal permit and is endorsed to catch certain Mid Atlantic Council managed species. Many New England More ›
- ON THE DISDAIN FOR ABUNDANT FISH STOCKS Management Body: Federal Fisheries, Legislation - Editor mocks fly fishermen, light-tackle anglers, and everyone else who benefits from “abundance." Last week we stumbled across what seemed like a somewhat useful piece from The Fisherman Magazine titled ALPHABET SOUP: TOP 25 FISHY ACRONYMS. The intent at first More ›
- Be Informed: A Comprehensive Guide to ASMFC Menhaden Public Hearings (9/11 thru 10/7) Management Body: ASMFC, News - Download a printable (pdf) copy of this guide here. A Guide to Menhaden Am 3 In May 2015, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) initiated Amendment 3 to management plan for Atlantic menhaden. The purpose is to establish ecological management, More ›
- ON BUNKER, IT’S TIME TO SHOW UP Management Body: ASMFC, News - Starting next week, ASMFC is holding Menhaden Amendment 3 hearings… and we need to be there. We’re not going to wax this time about how recent aggregations of menhaden have created extraordinary conditions for fishermen targeting striped bass, sharks etc.., More ›
- ASMFC Summer Meeting Recap: Its all about Bunker! Management Body: ASMFC - Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission Summer Meeting Alexandria VA / August 1-3 2017. The overarching highlight of the ASMFC Summer Meeting was the Menhaden Management Board which continued development of Amendment 3 to the Menhaden Fishery Management Plan. The Board received More ›
- IT’S NOT OKAY… Management Body: Federal Fisheries - Selling your tuna under the radar or without the proper permits screws us all As we get into the thick of tuna season right now, and plenty of “large-medium” and “giant” class bluefin tuna are being caught by anglers around More ›
- Stock Assessment Update: River Herring Remain Depleted Though Improvements Have Occurred Management Body: ASMFC - The following Press Release comes directly from ASMFC...this is the latest information on the status of River Herring stocks on the East Coast: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, AUGUST 3, 2017 PRESS CONTACT, TINA BERGER, 703.842.0740 Alexandria, VA – The Atlantic States More ›
- The More You NOAA… Management Body: Federal Fisheries - How NOAA Keeps America Fishing By Rip Cunningham I tend to be a “less is better” kind of guy when it comes to government. The exception is the management of natural resources like America’s sustainable fisheries. Fishing has been my More ›
- Retiring Government Employees Replacing Stakeholders Highlight 2017 Appointments to North East Fishery Councils Management Body: Federal Fisheries, MAFMC, NEFMC - US Commerce Appointments to New England & Mid-Atlantic Councils On June 28, 2017 the US Commerce Department announced appointments to the 8 regional fishery councils. The Magnuson Stevens Fishery & Conservation Act established the Councils to do the detailed work More ›