News & Opinion for Conservation Minded Anglers
The ASMFC is an interstate compact of the 15 Atlantic coastal states which manage fisheries in state waters (shore to 3 mile line).
The NEFMC is responsible for the conservation and management of fishery resources between 3 & 200 miles of the Atlantic coasts of ME, NH, MA, RI & CT. Management of some species overlaps with the MAFMC.
The MAFMC is responsible for the conservation and management of fishery resources between 3 & 200 miles of the Atlantic coasts of NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA & NC. Management of some species overlaps with the NEFMC.
This section will cover all federal offices, agencies & actions related to fisheries including US Congress, NOAA Fisheries, NOAA Highly Migratory Species (HMS), National Marine Fishery Service (NMFS), and the Greater Atlantic Regional Fishery Office (GARFO).
- Why Menhaden Matter… Management Body: ASMFC - As numerous “50s” are being caught off of the coast of New Jersey, it’s pretty darn clear… By Capt. John McMurray If you are a striper fisherman, unless you’ve taken some sorta sabbatical from social media, I’m guessing you’ve heard More ›
- The Straight Dope on Squid Management Body: MAFMC - Localized depletion and bycatch are real and need to be addressed If you fish at all really, you know that just about everything eats squid. Fluke, striped bass, black seabass, scup, weakfish, bluefin and yellowfin tuna, billfish, mahi… I could More ›
- Squid Management Body: MAFMC - Squid are an important component of the marine ecosystems of the East Coast, serving as forage for a wide variety of inshore and offshore fish, birds and marine mammals. They also support a substantial commercial fishery, and are widely used More ›
- ASMFC Finds New Jersey Out of Compliance Management Body: ASMFC - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, June 1, 2017 PRESS CONTACT, TINA BERGER, 703.842.0740 ASMFC Finds New Jersey Out of Compliance with Addendum XXVIII to the Summer Flounder, Scup, and Black Sea Bass FMP Arlington, VA – The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission More ›
- On Being A Council Member Management Body: MAFMC - Tough decisions that benefit the “public trust” come with the territory By Capt. John McMurray For the last 9 years I’ve served on the Mid Atlantic Fishery Management Council - one of 8 regional federal fishery management Councils - holding More ›
- ASMFC Spring Meeting Summary Management Body: ASMFC - The ASMFC met in Alexandra VA between MA8 & May 11, 2017. The following is a summary of what the staff here at Fissues feels were important enough discussion to take up our readers time. ASMFC Striped Bass Management Board More ›
- On Addendum V and “Liberalizing” Striped Bass Regs Management Body: ASMFC - So what do you do when you don't meet your harvest reduction goals? Ask to harvest more. By Ross Squire The Draft Addendum V to Amendment 6 to the Atlantic Striped Bass Interstate Management Plan was recently published by the More ›
- Right… Baitfish Don’t Matter Management Body: ASMFC - A recent study funded by the large-scale extraction industry claims that forage fish abundance doesn’t affect marine predator numbers… As anglers we know better. Just when I thought I’d seen everything, I opened my email a few weeks ago to More ›
- ASMFC Spring Meeting Promises Controversy for Striped Bass & Menhaden Management Body: ASMFC - The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission will meet next week at the Weston Alexandria (VA) between May 8 & 11. The most contentious meetings for the week will be Striped Bass & Menhaden but the agenda includes the appeal of More ›
- Chub Mackerel Scoping Questions and Suggested Responses Management Body: MAFMC - In the scoping document, the Council poses several relevant questions. Here’s how we are suggesting readers answer them when providing public comment. How should the Council evaluate potential conflicts between the commercial chub mackerel fishery and recreational fisheries for large More ›